Unity Asset Server Browser

Unity’s Asset Server is a key piece of technology in our workflow.  It provides per-asset source control inside of Unity, which is absolutely required for larger projects with multiple team members.  Unity 2.5 introduced in-Unity browsing of the asset server–update history, asset history, etc–but we still use our own web-based browser today.  It’s a convenient way to quick check an asset or update without launching Unity and opening your project. Searching is also much easier, as our browser has a page with all updates and commit descriptions.

Here’s our browser in action (or watch in HD):

We’re releasing it!  Download the source code or check out the README.txt file.  If you find this useful feel free to donate beer money:  [email protected]!

This entry was posted in Backend/Database and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Unity Asset Server Browser

1. Leepo says:

I can’t get it working right away; I modified the inc.php, and chmoded 777 all files for desperate testing purposes. However, the source of my index page looks like this: http://pastebin.com/m413c8c8e

Any clue what I should be looking for?

2. Matthew Wegner says:

Looks like you have an older version of PHP where magical toString() is broken. Try replacing the _php/Render.class.php addContent function with this:

/**
       * @desc Add some content to our page

public function addContent($content)
       {
          if(gettype($content) == “object”)
             $content = $content->__toString();

$this->pageContent .= $content;
       }

If that works for you I‘ll update the zip…

3. Leepo says:

Thanks for the reply!

I just had a post ready that it didn’t work..however the copy+paste messed up the qoutes..Your fix works for my php 5.1.6.

BTW; One more fix for the zip that could be nice is that the jquery and the css file are referenced as /_jquery/jquery.js. However, this requires the scripts to be ran from a (sub)domain. test.com/assets/ wouldn’t work. A relative path (_jquery/jquery.js) would help solve some confusion.

Thanks a bunch! I’ll be playing around with it soon. I’m already loving the TODO tracker. An extension I might look at implementing are user rights; I don’t want to give all users on my asset server read access to all projects.

4. Danny says:

This is exactly the type of interface we are looking to build. Other than the Unity asset Server, did you experiment with other ways of having multiple team members manipulating a single Unity project? We are looking for an open source way to eliminate the bottle neck caused by only being able to have a single instance of the project open at a time.

5. Russ Fan says:

Came across this post a year after it’s written, but was wondering if you could provide some feedback about Asset Server in general, if you don’t mind.

Does Asset Server do something that External Version Control doesn’t accomplish? I know that using and External Version Control system will expose the meta files, but does Asset Server do something besides handle meta files? Does it offer added support for merging the binary .unity files? It appears that every developer using Unity has run into a workflow problem where they can’t help but stomp another developer’s commits to a unity scene.

6. Matthew Wegner says:

@Russ: Mostly no, it behaves identically to external version control. The major benefit is integration (simpler for artists/designers/etc to use, versus other applications).

As far as I know there is only one advantage, which is that assets are stored both in their source form and their imported form. This makes things slightly faster, and also means you don’t need things like Maya to import .mb files and so forth.

Unity did charge an upgrade fee to the Asset Server Client license for 3.x, but so far there is zero information for any kind of roadmap.

Comments are closed.